Friday, July 30, 2010

Carbon


I'm not sure where I read about Carbon (maybe seriouseats.com?), but I've always wanted to stop by this joint. I HEART Mexican. Bobcat was worried that this area might be a little shady, but it turned out to be fine. I'm SO GLAD we went. I miss this place already.

It's a tiny, teeny joint with food that's FULL of flavor.

We ordered 1 each of their tacos with no cheese. Fire Grilled Steak, Tequila-Lime Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast, and Tortilla Encrusted Tilapia with shredded cabbage & creamy tequila sauce. They ended up forgetting about the fire-roasted vegetables taco, so we'll have to try that next time. They have 4 types of freshly made salsa. We tried their 'medium' salsa verde, which is made of green tomatillos, cilantro, serrano peppers

$2.50 / $2.75 With Cheese. Fresh Soft Corn Tortilla, Authentic-Style With Traditional Mexican Blend Of Onions And Cilantro, Plus Your Choice Of Fresh House-Made Salsa

All of the tacos were good, but the meaty beef was our favorite.

Speaking of favorites, this is by far the BEST chicken tortilla soup we've ever tasted. The first time I ordered chicken tortilla soup was at a cafe in Wisconsin. The waiter highly recommended it, so I trusted him. I was SO GLAD I did. The soup was amazing. From then on, I kept searching for equally delicious chicken tortilla soup, but I never found anything close to what I tasted...until Carbon's. I need to go back just to get this soup... it's ridiculously awesome.



Carbon Chicken Tortilla Soup 3.79
We're not huge fans of corn, but this was pretty good. Very fresh corn, nice creamy sauce. I'm also not so into creamy things, so I probably won't order it again. It was definitely worth a try though.
Elote our signature mexican corn hash sm 1.75


Margarita 3.00
We washed down everything with a small margarita (decent), dos equis & corona beers.

What a great meal!



CARBON
300 W 26th St
(between Calumet Ave & I-90)
Chicago, IL 60616
Neighborhood: Chinatown


No comments: