Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mai Thai

I think I have my love for pho back, because I'm often craving pho (especially at Tay Do) these days. We tried going there on Friday despite the stormy weather, but it was friggin closed... who closes on a Friday night??

Mai Thai is in the same plaza as our beloved Katy's dumplings (I love buying their frozen handmade dumplings, and they now have baos and man tou too!!). We were always interested in checking it out, since there aren't ANY good Thai restaurants in the burbs, so mom, hub, and I decided to go.

Mom wanted to try their Thai Calamari appetizer, which turned out to be this:


She was hoping it's the kind where they deep fry then saute the calamari with salt/pepper, onions, green pepper and garlic. Their homemade special sauce tasted like a spiked up srirracha sauce. Although the calamari was crisp, it lacked flavor. booooring dish never to be ordered again, please.

Next was the papaya salad, which was refreshing and seasoned nicely. The last papaya salad I had was marinated for so long the papaya softened. This one had a perfect balance of crispy papaya and good flavor.

Their seafood tom yum soup turned out to be quite good too. Nice ingredients that tasted fresh, and isn't so small that you feel cheated, and the flavors were good.


Then we ate their Pad Kee Mao (aka Crazy Noodle) which turned out to be too sweet.


Green curry tasted good, but nothing exceptional.
The service here is really good -- very sweet waitress, and they seem to care about our impressions. The ingredients were fresh, and tastes were decent, so I don't have much to complain about. At the same time, unless I'm desperately craving thai food in the burbs, I probably won't return again. Nothing really stood out.

Mai Thai
697 N Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
(630) 455-4299
http://www.maithai.netfirms.com/
menu

No comments: