Monday, March 31, 2008

Maui 2008: Big Wave Cafe

Day after my sister's wedding, I woke up early (and hungover) to have buffet breakfast / coffee while chatting with my sister. After a few hours of failed nap attempts, my dad wanted to have lunch together, so he asked me to pick out a place from my 'list'... I decided to check out Big Wave Cafe. On their web site, it says, "...award winning chef Raul Bermudez. Delivering great food at great prices while using only the freshest Maui-grown vegetables, fruits and local seafoods..." seeing the key words "freshest Maui-grown", "seafoods", "great prices" were instant selling points!

Very casual ambiance, seriously a "cafe" look -- for a second I thought it was a coffeehouse. It's in a strip mall with outdoor seating along the walls. Service was okay, we waited a little, but it wasn't too bad. Thankfully I didn't need to use the bathroom because I later read from another review that the bathroom is difficult to locate and quite secluded... yikes.

Onto the food.. which was grrrrrreat!

The hub and I shared their Fresh Fish Tacos ($8.95) – very fresh, great flavors, tortillas perfectly crisp. The husband loved the mango salsa that came with it.

I forgot what the soup of the day was but we shared it as well -- very hearty vegetable soup (I think with sausages), very strong tomato flavor.

I didn't snag photos of my brother and dad's meals but I definitely sampled them. My brother's Kalua Pork with Macaroni Salad and Rice was tender, moist, perfectly flavored. A tad of soy sauce made it perfect over rice.

For the first time ever, my dad ordered a dish I was jealous of -- Roast Beef, grilled with Swiss, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Peppers and Chipotle Sauce (7.95)
I pictured deli-style roast beef, but this was actual home-roasted beef. Very melt-in-your-mouth tenderness, smoky delicious flavor, excellent balance of sauce/meat.

I really regret not returning for dinner, because that menu looked even better. Excellent place that I’d definitely return to next time we visit Maui!

Big Wave Café
1215 South Kihei Road
(Long’s Shopping Center)


No comments: