Friday, March 4, 2011

Random

I love tofu, and all asian-vegetarian creations, but I was never a fan of western-made soy products. I still remember the disgust when a friend offered me a taste of her block of soy. ew.

But there has been more products lately, probably because of increased environmental and animal rights awareness. I was inspired when I saw a recent Oprah episode on eating veg.

So I purchased a few items recently. One of my surprising fave was this chorizo. Keep in mind, I'm not a huge fan of chorizo, so I don't know how close this is to the real deal. But I just have to say that the texture & seasoning is pretty delicious. Definitely worth a try!

On a different note, Chinese people are very into eating the right food (& combination of food) to improve your health. This usually involves Chinese herbs, dried items that are good for your body. Since this winter has been so cold, my mom prepared three things that's supposed to bring "heat" to your body, warming it up to battle the winter. I didn't take photos of the other two -- Ma Yo Ji (Seasame Oil Chicken) and Yang Rou Lu (Lamb stew) -- actually, I didn't even get to eat the latter (it's hot pot - style). But I did get to enjoy a very delicious Jiang Mu Ya (ginger duck stew). I don't remember having this... it's a cooked duck stew, but you eat it like a hot pot -- the contents of the existing stew AND you add other things in it. The cabbage soaked up the slightly greasy, intensely flavorful broth. It's one of the best things I had all winter.

No comments: