Wednesday, December 9, 2009

An Apple a day keeps the doctors AWAY!


My parents are such meat lovers & indulgent folks, that I was never mindful of making healthy food choices until I got married. The hubby squirms at the sight of increased flabs on his (non-existent) "belly". Especially as we leave our 'invincible' 20's, and are increasingly educated / warned by this organic, healthy world, we try to fit as much 'superfoods' in our diet as possible.

Apples are rich in antioxidants, polyphenols, flavonoids, v C, fiber, and potassium. Health benefits include prevention of RR lung cancer & type II diabetes, improved pulmonary (lung) function, and heart health. Superfoodrx.com recommends eating a variety of apples for the best benefits (because the nutrient varies). Since the apple season started this year, I kept hearing raves about "honeycrisp" apples. It's the favorite variety of a LOT of people. I purchased them at Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh Market...but was never impressed. I wanted to stick to the sweetness of Fuji, and balance that flavor with the tartness of Granny Smiths.

Last weekend, the hubby & I stopped by our friend's place for SNF, and our friend proudly cut up 2 apples for us. He said, "have you had these? it's honeycrisp." Since we just had dinner, I wasn't very interested in trying these apples, especially since I've had them and weren't a huge fan. Out of courtesy for his efforts, I took a slice, and was pleasantly surprised by the crisp, juicy explosion of the perfect balance of sweet & tart. I could not stop taking slice after slice...it was the most addictive apples I've ever had. I don't think I've ever looked forward to having apples until that day.

He then explained that these were special orders from honeycrisp.com, which, I know is going to be one of my favorite go-to web sites. YUM. I will definitely place some orders for Christmas (for our own home, and for holiday celebrations... and as gifts!!!)


Can't wait to indulge in these again!!

No comments: